Trying to get a handle on your body odor? You are not alone! There are a number of actions you can take to help curb the stink emanating from your pores. Starting each day with clean, and we mean Defunkify clean, clothing is always a good idea. There are a handful of other ways to help eliminate body odor and to make things easy we've listed them out below:
1. We're not saying not to eat healthy, but if BO is a problem for you... Avoid excessive consumption of cruciferous vegetables (at least before a hot date). They contain sulfurous compounds. This includes broccoli, cabbage, bok choy brussels sprouts, garlic, and onions. Also for some folks, asparagus compounds can be difficult to metabolize, leading to the infamous asparagus smelling pee!
2. Avoid excessive consumption of caffeine and alcohol. (Also, quit smoking! It stinks! Seriously!)
3. Ditch red meat. (Go vegetarian) A study from the journal of Chemical Senses found that a panel of women judged vegetarian men to be significantly less stinky, which makes sense as red meat has a lot of sulfur as well as fatty acids which have an inherent unpleasant odor to them, and that odor can become worse when metabolized by bacteria.
4. Avoid excessive/unnecessary antibiotic use. This can alter gut bacteria and effect the way your body metabolizes the food you eat, which could effect body odor as well.
5. Chill out! Stress can have a significant effect on the production of hormones and other odiferous compounds. Adrenaline is known to reduce gut blood flow which could effect the metabolism of food in the stomach. Put on some Beethoven, find your happy place, give meditation a try, roll out that yoga mat, whatever it takes…
6. Manage blood sugar! Uncontrolled blood sugar, especially in diabetics can cause the production of funky smelling ketones which can also contribute to a potentially dangerous health situation.
7. Get your vitamin C. Scurvy can cause sweat to smell putrid.
8. Avoid excessive supplement use which can alter gut biota and change body odor.
And, if you find you're just one of those people who can't seem to get your body odor under control - use Defunkify laundry detergents to get the funk out of your clothing! Start each and every day fresh, regardless of how it ends up.